- If DTM does not collect the data in a format that Partners can use (e.g., not the right reply options, age break down, phrasing, reply options…), partners will have to provide such feedback to DTM and explain to DTM exactly what they need.
- Criticizing results without helping DTM to identify better questions and reply options is not in line with the shared responsibility Partners have in ensuring DTM collects useful and usable data for their response. It is important that the approach by Partners is constructive, and that the DTM team listens.
- Partners should also remember and respect the fact that DTM may not be able to make all requested changes, or not immediately. DTM should explain to partners why changes cannot be made or communicate when they will be made.
- DTM and Partners can revise the data collection tools, to ensure the results are meeting the needs of Partners. For revision process, please see HERE and for Flow Chart, see HERE.
- Developing and sharing the Data Analysis Plan is a crucial step of the process and the opportunity to minimize the cases when results cannot be utilized for response.
- As in a Data Analysis Plan each question is clearly linked to information it provides, use of its results, descriptive analysis and visualization of expected results, Partners has the time to verify and make changes to the questionnaire before data collection starts.
Comic Strips on DTM&Partners Cooperation are a fun way to learn more: https://displacement.iom.int/dtm-toolkit/dtm-partners-toolkit
2-pager Summary process, in: https://displacement.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/predictable-approach
Flow Chart Planning DTM Location Assessment with Data Users, in: https://displacement.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/information-needs-and-data-users
Introduction to DTM Field Companion for Location Assessment Sectoral Questions, in: https://displacement.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/field-companion-sectoral-questions-location-assessment
The DTM Field Companion sectoral extracts available in two formats, Pdf and Excel, in: https://displacement.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/field-companion-sectoral-questions-location-assessment . In the pdf format, each question is detailed in a separate page.
Also, another example of Data Analysis Plan template is on page 14 of ACAPS Questionnaire Design, How to design a questionnaire for needs assessments in humanitarian emergencies, July 2016, available at: https://www.acaps.org/sites/acaps/files/resources/files/acaps_technical_brief_questionnaire_design_july_2016_0.pdf
A suggested format for revision of each dataset is the Template Revising Existing Questionnaires with Partners, in: https://displacement.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/other-tools-0