DTM for Protection
Global Protection Cluster (GPC) and DTM worked jointly to identify information needed for analysis and response that DTM can collect through the methodologies that DTM field teams use. They also jointly developed short guidance and presentations that can help DTM and Partners in the field better work together to collect and use data for sectoral and inter-sectoral response.
Information commonly needed for Protection are included in the DTM Field Companion for Protection, formatted as a Data Analysis Plan: it includes suggested phrasing of questions and options for reply as well as descriptive analysis and possible use of data for each information need.
DTM Field Companion for Protection is available in EXCEL and in Pdf. In the pdf version, one information need is detailed in each page, while in the excel version, one information need is detailed in each row. The information is identical on both versions.
Check the recording of the 2023 HNPW session on WALKING BACKWARDS for an evidence-based response: Experiences from the field- featuring Global and National Protection Cluster, GBV, Child Protection and Mine Action Areas of Responsibility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zss6_xIOGhw
In addition to the DTM Field Companion, DTM and GPC have been closely collaborating at a global level and developed the "Frequently Asked Questions on DTM for the Global Protection Cluster, including the Child Protection, GBV, Mine Action, HLP AoRs and other members of the cluster".to support field colleagues on:
- Explaining what DTM MSLA is and can and cannot do to support the work of protection colleagues
- Identifying how DTM data can contribute to Child Protection programme planning/coordination/response (reflecting PIM -Protection Information Management- categories)
- How to use DTM data for Protection analysis
- Frequently Asked Questions on DTM for the Global Protection Cluster, in: https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/protection
- DTM Field Companions include specific information needs that Global experts identified for most sectors: https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/field-companion-sectoral-questions-location-assessmentt. Field companion for Protection is available in two formats:
- PDF (one page one question): https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/field-companion-pdf,
- EXCEL (one row one question): https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/field-companion-excel
- In addition, specific material is also available for Child protection, GBV and Mine Action in: https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/dtm-specific-sectors
- SOP Integration of Protection Indicators into DTM, in: https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/protection
- 2-pager document on FAQ on DTM for Clusters, in: https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/what-dtm
- Presentation on What DTM is and what can you do with it, in: https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/presentations-dtmen-fr-and-sp
- Training on safely responding to Incidents Disclosure during data collection (for enumerators, GBV, Protection and Data Collection coordinators): https://dtm.iom.int/dtm-partners-toolkit/trainings
- Identify and Explain Protection Risks- GPC video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktExEnVz6A&t=1712s
- Protection Risks – GPC Explanatory note: https://www.globalprotectioncluster.org/publications/994/training-materials/template/protection-risks-explanatory-note
- Plan Elaborate and Use Protection Analysis Update in Operation - GPC video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fij_EgWujl0&t=7s
- Protection Analysis Updates (PAU) Annotated Template -GPC https://www.globalprotectioncluster.org/publications/992/training-materials/template/protection-analysis-updates-annotated-template