Estonia — Surveys with Refugees from Ukraine: Needs, Intentions, and Integration Challenges (April-June 2023)
Jun 30 2023
- Flow Monitoring
This report is based on a survey of displacement patterns, needs and intentions conducted by IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) in the 11 countries included in the Regional Response Plan for Ukraine in 2023: 6 countries neighboring Ukraine – Belarus, Hungary, Poland, Republic of Moldova, Romania and Slovakia – and other 5 countries particularly impacted by the arrivals of refugees from Ukraine since the start of the war in February 2022 – Bulgaria, Czechia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. The analysis presented in this report is based on data collected between April and June 2023.
• Top oblasts of origin: Kharkivska (14%), Donetska (12%), the city of Kiyv (9%), Khersonska (8%).
• Intentions to move: no intention to move (88%), move to place of origin in Ukraine (3%), to another country (3%), where Top 3 were Germany, Czechia and Norway.
• Employment status: employed (46%), unemployed and looking for a job (22%), student (14%), retired (6%), on a maternity/paternity leave (5%). • Top needs:* employment (20%), health services (17%), financial support (16%), documentation and registration (12%).
• Top inclusion challenges:* language barrier (33%), employment (24%), housing (14%), accessing social services (9%).
• Top areas of assistance received:* free transportation (84%), food items (71%), financial support (66%), long-term accommodation (34%).
* more than one answer possible