DTM Data Science Intern
Senior DTM Coordination Manager
Global DTM Coordinator
Number of positions
January 1, 2020
3 months with possibility of extension
I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) gathers and analyzes data to disseminate critical multi layered information on the mobility, vulnerabilities, and needs of displaced and mobile populations that enables decision makers and responders to provide these populations with better context specific assistance.
The DTM Support Team, based in headquarters, assembles expertise in operations and coordination, methodology and concept development, mapping and Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis, database and application system development, and data and information management. The support team has been critical in providing remote and onsite support to DTM field implementation.
Under the overall supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator and direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for providing support to the activities and services provided by DTM support team in headquarters for DTM implementation in the field worldwide, in particular to support development and implementation of supplementary and interoperable systems for quality assurance and further improvement of global DTM data and analysis.
- Support in ensuring timely and accurate collection and database storage. This includes hands on coding ensuring data collected is proofed to source, handling daily exceptions (changes to source data, process errors, verifying suspect data), applying industry standard methodologies, and tracking to operational metrics.
- Support in analysing new data management assignments, developing scripts and tests to Extract, Transform and Load data from different country sources into the Central Data Warehouse and conforming to the DTM data dictionary, including data validation, change requests and providing quick and efficient solutions to data sourcing issues.
- Support in building requirements, metadata, backup procedures, and process documentation, and overall management of dataset addition process.
- Works with various parts of the global DTM Support team to ensure that content is delivered on-time, regardless of system issues, and that the format and structure supports the operational requirements.
- Support in data audit on exceptions and outliers associated with specific datasets. This may include verification, additional research, and modelling or related analyses.
- Support on development of data queries for internal use as require, as well as one-time data pulls from database as requested.
- Ensure that the implementation of the information management systems and application adhere to Ethical Guidelines for Data Science, IOM Data Protection Policy and Information Technology and Communication (ITC) Policies and Standards, including on system and data security.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
Personal commitment drive for results, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines; displays awareness of relevant technological solutions. Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services.
- Strong SQL developer skills, knowledge of efficient querying using stored procedures and automated ETL routines.
- Proficient skills on Excel for Data Analysis (pivot tables, vlookup, macros)
- Hands-on of advanced data manipulation tools (graph databases, cubes, relational and non-relational databases, streaming processing) and distributed architectures (Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Kassandra, MongoDB) is a plus.
- Experience on cloud architecture is a plus (AWS or Azure) an asset.
- Excitement and interest in for spatio-temporal data.
IV. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Pursuing degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Quantitative Science (Mathematics, Statistics, etc).
VI. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Applicants to the IOM internship programme must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
a) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
b) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
c) Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
HOW TO APPLYInterested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname) to firstname.lastname@example.org adding DTM Data Science Intern Geneva
in the subject line, no later than Tuesday 22nd December.NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered.