DTM Data Science Consultant
Senior DTM Coordination Manager
Number of positions
Jan 1 2022
I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) gathers and analyze data to disseminate critical multi layered information on the mobility, vulnerabilities, and needs of displaced and mobile populations that enables decision makers and responders to provide these populations with better context specific assistance.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, and the overall supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible to provide data science support to the global DTM support team operations.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following tasks:
- Support in ensuring the quality and accuracy of data consolidate and stored in DTM’s Central Data Warehouse (CDW) using quality control techniques applied during relevant data management processes. This includes support, advice, and guidance to field operations in ensuring data is clean and accurate at the earliest possible for the global level consolidation purpose.
- Support in the development DTM’s Data Dictionary (DD) at the global level and support country missions in the field level roll out and implementation by providing technical guidance.
- Support in ensuring the accuracy of data and information in DTM websites using analytics/statistical models and quality control tools; including data checks and tests as required.
- Support the design, development, roll-out, implementation, and refinement of data quality control procedures, as well as standards and mechanisms by which to monitor and evaluate the quality of DTM data received from IOM’s field offices in a centralized manner. Provide technical support to IOM field offices in the process of improving data quality and incorporating these quality control standards.
- Research and develop models, analysis, reports, and documentation related to DTM and humanitarian, development, and migration programming as relevant. This includes the topic of displacement/migration and return, urban/rural displacement, and humanitarian-development nexus.
- Analyze information received from IOM’s field operations; develop and support the harmonization of DTM data collection tools (survey and assessment forms) that facilitate such analysis; contribute directly to the creation of analytics-based value products around the data collected by DTM field missions.
- Provide remote or onsite support to DTM field operations as needed.
- Research, analyze and evaluate innovative solutions on complementary data analyses, the use of analytical models and techniques, improved processes, and new applications related to information systems, new technologies and data-driven practices to manage information in response to disasters and/or complex emergencies and make recommendations on their utilization for DTM field implementations as well as for global support operations.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
III. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in Statistics or Quantitative field (Math, Computer Science, Econometrics, Physics/Chemistry, Bioinformatics, etc.), or, alternatively, an equivalent combination of related education and professional experience.
- Experience in the development and implementation of humanitarian, transition and recovery, and/or development projects and programming.
- Experience in the development, refinement and implementation of population database systems (such as registrations, census or surveys).
- Experience in working with large population database will be a significant advantage.
- Experience developing best practices and tools to harmonize data collection and consolidation of datasets/databases.
- Excellent proficiency in using Python and R. And in one or more data analysis software such as: Stata, SAS, SPSS, MATLAB.
- Skills in statistics and statistical methods, survey and assessment methodologies, and development of analysis framework and analytical outputs will be an advantage.
- Expertise in machine learning, data mining, predictive analytics, artificial intelligence and/or risk modelling. Hands-on mathematical programming and modelling.
- Familiarity with GIS and web mapping an asset.
- Experience in distributed platforms (Hadoop, Spark, AWS, Azure, etc.) and/or Natural Language Processing an advantage.
- Have a solid awareness of existing and new developments in responsible, inclusive and ethical data science practices.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:\
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Required: Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral).
Advantageous: Working knowledge of French, Spanish or other UN language is an advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname) to email@example.com adding DTM Data Science Consultant Geneva in the subject line, no later than Sunday 12th December.
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered